- Do not enter the laboratory without permission.
- Do not touch any equipment, chemicals or other materials in the laboratory area until you are instructed to do so.
- Be prepared for your work in the laboratory. Make sure you know exactly what you are supposed to do. If in doubt ask the teacher.
- Long hair must be tied back securely.
- Keep aisles clear of all bags, coats, personal items and chairs at all times.
- Always wear eye protection or gloves when instructed to do so.
- Always check that the label on the bottle is exactly the same as you require. If in doubt ask the teacher.
- Do not eat, drink or taste anything in the laboratory. Food must not be brought into the laboratory. Any substance accidentally taken into the mouth must be spat out immediately and the mouth washed out with plenty of water before reporting to the teacher.
- Any cut, burn or other accident must be reported at once to the teacher.
- Do not use chipped or broken glassware. Report breakages to the teacher who will dispose of such items in a special bin.
- Make sure you know the position of all safety equipment in the laboratory, e.g. fire extinguishers, first-aid equipment etc.
- Test tubes should never be overfilled. When heating a test tube ensure that the mouth of the test tube is pointed away from yourself and everyone else.
- All equipment should be cleaned by students and put back in its correct place after use.
- Always wash your hands after practical work.
- Students should behave in a responsible manner at all times.
Printer friendly laboratory rules