The school is committed to the development of the full range of each student’s artistic, cultural and sporting talents and aptitudes. To promote this development, a wide selection of activities, outside the regular school time-table is offered.
‘MORE THAN A SCHOOL’
Extra Curricular Updates – February 2021
Despite current restrictions due to COVID-19, there are still a wide range of extra-curricular activities that take place in Loreto Balbriggan.
- The main aim for 2021 is that the wide array of extra-curricular choice and high level of student engagement returns as soon as the school is ready to fully reopen. In January 2020, a school audit found that 19 sports clubs and 23 non-sports clubs were offering extra-curricular support to students in Loreto Balbriggan.
- Members of the PE department continue to host online fitness classes before 09:10 am for senior students each week.
- The school’s first ‘Women in Sports’ panel interview was recorded on Wednesday, 2nd December 2020 as a way to promote female participation in sport and as part of the national 20×20 ‘if she can’t see it, she can’t be it’ campaign. Three high profile Irish athletes – Ms Sarah Rowe (Mayo Gaelic Football and Collingwood Australian Rules player), Ms Muireann Atkinson (Monaghan Gaelic Football player) and Ms Michelle Claffey (Irish and Leinster Rugby International) – play at the highest level in their respective sporting fields. They are also Loreto Balbriggan teachers who agreed to be interviewed by passionate sporting members of our TY Communications Team. A huge thank you to all three teachers for giving over 200 TY students a real insight into the highs and lows of being elite athletes. The TY Communications Podcast will be released to the wider school community on Friday, 18th December, 2020 on Spotify and our TY Blog.
- The ‘Women in Sports’ podcast event coincided with a TY ‘Stepping Out of Lockdown’ charity walk in aid of Jigsaw. Balbriggan District Gardaí, who ran the mental health awareness initiative, challenged all TY groups in the area of Balbriggan to reach the target of 380,160 steps in one day as this was the number of minutes the country has been in lockdown since 13th March 2020. Our Loreto Balbriggan students smashed this one-day target and counted a whopping 971,488 steps as a TY group.
- The Junior English Debating Club continues to meet in socially distanced pods every Tuesday and Thursday at lunchtime. Debating coordinators for 2020/2021 are Ms Doherty and Ms Byrne.
- Ms Garraway and Ms Darcy are this year’s First Year English Debating coordinators. This club meets during lunchtime every Tuesday.
- Computer Room 2 is home of this year’s TY Communications Team. This group meets every Wednesday to update TY students, teachers and parents of all events and activities currently taking place in fourth year. Mr Daly and Ms Kearns are the TY Communications coordinators.
- Our BT Young Scientist & Technology students continue research work on all their innovative projects. Many of the proposed entries for this year’s competition appear on the school’s TY Blog page. Ms White and Mr Higgins are this year’s coordinating teachers
- The IFI Film Club celebrate the end of their year together with a Christmas movie in Demo 2.
- The Green-Schools team is currently working on the acquisition of a second Green Flag for Loreto Balbriggan. A core TY team of 28 students are currently collecting data and a progress report on the theme of water conservation will be drafted soon.
- Much more news in the area of extra curricular to follow in March 2021.
Quote for February:
“Be a good teammate. Let your actions portray the actions you want girls to follow.”
(Ms Muireann Atkinson, TY Communications Podcast, released 18th December 2020)
WOMEN IN SPORTS PODCAST
Ms Sarah Rowe (Mayo LGFA & Collingwood AFLW), Ms Muireann Atkinson (Monaghan LGFA) and Ms Michelle Claffrey (Ireland and Leinster Rugby) are sports athletes playing at the very highest level in International Rugby, Gaelic Football and Australian Rules Football. They are also teachers in Loreto Balbriggan who embody this year’s 20×20 ‘Women in Sports’ vision. Join the TY Communications conversation as we talk about resilience, role models, the impact of COVID-19 and the importance of a good mental game. This event took place on Wednesday, 2nd December 2020.
LISTEN TO OUR FULL TY PODCAST INTERVIEW ON THE TRANSITION YEAR PAGE
“MORE THAN A SCHOOL”